Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Kingsland, GA to Flagler Beach, FL -- The Impact of a Great Teacher

Today we rode from Kingsland, GA to Flagler Beach, FL. Much of our travels were along the Florida coast (highway A1A), with shoreline and waves in the distance. We also rode through a few nature preserves, seeing a variety of palm trees, birds, snakes, and other animals (examples below). I actually rode right past a four foot snake on my bike path and had a few salamanders race me as I was riding (I won most times). The heat continued and looks to continue through the end of the ride, with temperatures in the high 80s and water at a premium. Regardless of the amount of water I drink, it always seems that I need more. Whether because of the heat or general tiredness, I started my morning a bit groggy and slow moving and it made me reflect on those who demonstrate unwavering dedication and passion despite the tiredness they may feel.
The person that first came to mind was my mom, Carmen Grandy. In addition to all of her household responsibilities, mom was a public school teacher for over 30 years. I can only imagine the impact that she had on students through the generations. But what I recall most is her single-minded devotion in raising us, helping us get ready for school, getting up early to fix breakfast several times each week and making sure we had what we needed, even when times were difficult. Things weren't always easy for my mom, but she always kept pedaling.

I also thought about others who taught me invaluable lessons. Most were teachers. For example, my third grade teacher, Mrs. Collins, taught us that it was OK to be excited about science. My sixth grade teacher, Mrs. Handy, exuded passion for learning and helped us navigate those early awkward years. Mr. Wilging, my Latin teacher, spent much of his time focused on ethics and helping us see that there was more to the world than a small town in southwestern Michigan. My high school history teacher, Mr. Adkin, helped us recognize the value of critical thinking and wanted us to excel as scholars. The list of teachers goes on, but their common theme was a passion to teach and an unwavering dedication to impact their students.

For me, this journey is about many things, but one large part is to encourage our wonderful group of teachers and staff at Traders Point Christian Academy. Not only do they partner with families in providing an outstanding education to our students, but they do so within a Christian worldview. From my Mom's experience, I recognize that it isn't always easy to be a teacher, but I am amazed at the impact they have on TPCA students and families. As with the list of teachers above, they teach with unwavering dedication and will impact the lives of students in ways not apparent for years. So on this day that I lacked a bit of energy, I thought about those who "just keep pedaling" to make a difference for their students. Thanks to all the teachers and staff at TPCA for their dedication; you make all the difference!

A special thanks to Tony and Michaelyn Milidantri and Larry and Patty Powell from Flagler Beach United Methodist Church for opening their homes to us and making us feel so welcome. We really appreciate your hospitality (and outstanding cooking)!
The countdown continues! Thank your teachers today and get ready for the 2nd Annual, Best-Ever Walk/Bikeathon! I'll see you from the beach in Miami.

Charlie

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Charlie,
What a journey you have had with our Lord. As you legs and feet work the pedals, your mind and heart focus on the lessons God has for you along the way. We have soaked up knowing you and your heart for God and are bathed in that blessing. Good job, good and faithful servant!
Love,
Jane & Morrie

Anonymous said...

Charlie,

There is no doubt in my mind you've seen some eagles who in turn were watching your journey and who must have thought, "Is that human migrating south? I admire his perseverance!" If you look into the distant waves, I bet you'll see some dolphins checking you out as well. You may have even encountered some angels along the way.

I am awestruck by the commitment you've made and despite the toll it is taking on your body. You are fighting the good fight to complete your task - and you are "blessed to be a blessing" to so many who are following your journey.

Finish Strong!
John Shubat

Anonymous said...

Charlie and Company, it was an honor to have a small part in your journey. I wanted to ride a way with you yesterday morning, but I had a previous commitment at 9:15. We so enjoyed the time with you all. I know you are tired, but your wonderful journey to help so many is almost over.... patti

Anonymous said...

Keep on Rockn' Charlie! Hey... no matter what. God is with you.. and i know for a fact that they are praying for you! Along with everyone else!!! I just have to say, you are setting such a good example and you are being so faithful, that it just migt impact more people than you think. I really look up to you Mr. G! You seem like an amazing guy, and i bet you that every time you end another day of your awesome journey, that you woould have had about a thousand prayers, from every student in every class at TPCA that about half the teachers pray for you each time, and all the seperate and nighttime prayers- of just the students!! wow! I would probably feel so joyful- and sore about now!! You rock Mr. Grandy!! After all, 20 days is just the beginning- and you're heading to the middle!!! KEEP ON PEDDLEN'! See you at the Walkathon/ Bikathon!! It's the best ever, you know!!!! KEEP ON PEDDLING!In Faith,Anonymous

About Me

Ride Across America: A Journey of Faith Beginning on September 14, 2008 TPCA Parent and Board Member Charlie Grandy will Ride Across America, trekking from Quebec City to Miami - an overall distance of 2,235 miles in just 20 days! This Journey of Faith is Charlie following God's call to raise awareness and support of the mission of Traders Point Christian Academy. This will also serve to encourage students, families and participants to have fun, deepen their faith and develop a greater sense of community by serving together with a common purpose, as well as develop a habit-forming healthy lifestyle for our students, families and surrounding community. Ride Across America culminates on Friday October 3, when Charlie arrives in Miami and joins TPCA via a web-cast and we celebrate this incredible Journey of Faith. The students will then hold the 2nd Annual TPCA Walk/Bike-A-Thon on the school campus as their way to showcase the student body's focus on physical activity and spiritual growth. http://www.tpcs.org/rideacrossamerica.asp